Science Resources in Spanish
Teaching science in Spanish? Have some English Language Learners who need a little extra support? CRS has gathered a handful of science resources in Spanish for you and your students.
Spanish Resources on the Web
- Science Resources for ESL Students in Spanish - For middle school and high school students and teachers. This list was compiled by a high school teacher in Camby, Oregon.
- Paso Partners in Bilingual Instruction - The resource is designed to help elementary school teachers organize their classrooms and instructional activities in order to increase achievement of Hispanic primary-grade children whose first language is not English. The guides offer a curriculum plan, instructional strategies and activities, suggested teacher and student materials, and assessment procedures. Bilingual lessons on Five Senses, Spiders, Dinosaurs, Plants & Seeds, Human Body, Health, Oceans, Weather, Matter, Sun & Stars, Sound, Simple Machines.
- Peep and the Big Wide World - The Emmy Award-winning series that teaches science and math to an early childhood audience has an all-new bilingual website in Spanish and English--including an extensive science curriculum and video-based professional development about teaching science to young children. The greatly expanded website features 6 curriculum units in Spanish and English. Each provides three weeks of exploration and features hands-on activities, videos, and book recommendations. The Spanish/English toggle is at the top of each page.
- TryScience.org - This website from the New York Hall of Science is available in nine languages. There are over 40 on-line experiments on all the different science strands. There are sections for teachers and for students
- Here is a list of some more Science Websites in Spanish that CRS has compiled.
- NGSS Fact Sheet for Teachers in Spanish
- NASA STARS in Spanish - Live broadcasts in Spanish for your classroom. Held once monthly.
Field Trips in Spanish
Science museums and nature centers around the Bay Area try to meet the needs of all the students who participate in their programs. Many of them have staff that speak Spanish, but they do not always advertise that programs are available in Spanish because staffing changes on a year to year basis. When booking a field trip or in-class program, don't forget to ask for a Spanish speaker to either do the whole program in Spanish or to be able to support your ESL students during a lesson in English.
Classroom Materials in Spanish
- FOSS resources are available in both Spanish and English under the Teacher Resources Section of every module. www.fossweb.com
- Most text book companies have leveled readers for science in both Spanish and English.
- Science A-Z leveled reader available in Spanish and English
- http://www.hmhco.com/shop/education-curriculum/science/elementary-science/science-and-engineering-leveled-readersHoughton Mifflin Harcourt- Science and Engineering Leveled Readers available in English and Spanish
- CRS list of Science Materials in Spanish from our database. Gathered through the years as teachers have made very specific requests for information.
Your Favorite Science Resources in Spanish
We would love to add to our list of science resources in Spanish. Do you have a favorite we have missed? Please contact us at CRS@crscience.org with your recommendations.