CRS assists schools by providing ongoing planning resources for teachers, designing professional development programs for your school, and involving community resources to support the development of great science teaching in their districts. We are committed to an approach that builds teachers' awareness and ability to act as independent professionals, aware of changing teaching techniques, able to learn from their practice, set personal goals, and reach the resources and training they want.
This is outstanding! Thank you for all the great professional development that you and your team have provided our West Oakland Educators. Your support has allowed all of our elementary schools to be united in our efforts to strengthen our STEM corridor and share best practices for the instruction of science so that our students benefit by continuing to excel with academic discussions, writing with evidence, and exposure to complex text. --Oakland Principal
CRS supports science education in schools by working with individual teachers, principals and school faculties, and staff across entire districts. The services we can offer your school are:
Members receive personalized, on call support and information services to ensure they are in the know about the latest in professional development workshops, field trip and grant opportunities, teaching materials, and much more. They also receive invitations to participate in special programs such as our Field Trips for Teachers and the Science Super Star Challenge. Members in the Oakland, Berkeley, Emeryville and West Contra Costa Unified Schools Districts also receive invitations to have free, in-class BASIS presentations led by well-prepared, enthusiastic scientists and engineers who volunteer through our BASIS program. Find out about all the benefits of CRS Membership.
CRS offers free and low cost professional development workshops to schools or groups of teachers. Our most popular topics are
- Introduction to Elementary Engineering: What it is, Why it matters, and How to Get Started
- Advanced Elementary Engineering: Design Challenges for K-2, and 3-5 Classrooms
- Understanding the new science standards (Next Generation Science Standards) & How they Connect With Common Core Standards
- Talk like a scientist: Strategies for facilitating effective scientific discourse (polite arguing!) in the classroom
- Throw a Fantastic Science & Engineering Festival: Tips, Tricks, and Low-cost materials for Successful Events
- No-fears, no-tears Science Fair Explorations: Engage the Whole Class in Science Investigations & Engineering Challenges
You can learn more about our on our Professional Development page.