Best Practices & Lesson Planning Tools
Through the years we have compiled and created a number of lesson planning tools for teachers taking our professional development workshops. We have assembled these tools here for you to use while planning your integrated, standards-based science lessons. If you find these tools useful, you might want to bring CRS in to do customized professional development with your school. Our workshops are fast-paced sessions for planning lessons, building skills, and using resources.
Science Inquiry & Activity Ideas
- Inquiry Based Science: What does it look like? - Exploratorium
- Strategies to Promote Inquiry Skills
- NSF's Foundations Vol. 2: Inquiry - Thoughts, Views, and Strategies for the K-5 Classroom
- Inquiry Teaching Background and Resources
- The Exploratorium's Fundamentals of Inquiry
- Elementary Science Literature Connections
- CRS's BASIS Lesson Plan Archive
- CRS "Treasure Trove" Websites
Planning Tools and Worksheets
Everyone plans lessons a little differently. Here are a few different tools that you may find helpful.
- Handouts that CRS has used in professional development workshops for people new to teaching science.
- Is your goal to plan science units that are integrated across your curriculum? This planning tool can help you map out all the different areas that your unit addresses.
- 5E (Engage, Explore, Explain,Elaborate Evaluate) lesson plan tools can help you plan a specific lesson or deeper unit of study.
- Resource Planning Worksheet - use this tool to list all the different resources in and out of the classroom you will be using during your unit of study.
- Framework for Science Planning
Reflection Tools and Worksheets
Reflecting on how a lesson went as a whole and for individual students is very important. Here are two tools you can use when looking at your lessons.
- Observing Student Learning
- Opportunities to Observe Student Learning
- Key Ideas for Measuring Science Skill Development
- Selecting Experiences and Assessment
- Lesson Reflection Worksheet
- Science Lesson Observation Worksheet
Technology and Instruction
- Edutopia's Technology Integration for Elementary Schools
- Technology that Supports Instruction
- Making Good Use of Internet Resources for Instruction